The US Embassy in Costa Rica is located in the capital city of San Jose. It is here where any embassy related paperwork can be handled. It is here that you would report a lost or stolen passport, get specific paperwork for residency, and more. The embassy provides services for both Costa Rican and Americans depending on the services needed.
Address for the US Embassy
U.S. Embassy Office in San Jose
Calle 120 Avenida 0
Pavas, San José, Costa Rica
Phone: (506) 519-2000
Emergency after-hours assistance for U.S. citizens can be reached at (506) 519-2280, (506) 519-2279 or (506) 220-3127.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday 8:00am- 4:30pm. Closed U.S. and Costa Rica holidays.
Services Offered at the US Embassy
If you are confused about what services are conducted at the US embassy, perhaps the list below will help. Remember, if you are unsure if the embassy can help you, just give them a call. If they can’t help you, they may be able to direct you to someone who can.
- Help on the application for the renewal or expiration of passports.
- Registration of citizens that are traveling, relocating or in case of an American child being born in Costa Rica.
- Reports births and deaths abroad of U.S citizens.
- Voter registration for presidential elections.
- Social security matters, veterans benefits, etc.
- Provide tax forms for federal income.
- Notaries services for U.S citizens.
- Prisoner’s protection and documentation of the diseased, emergency services.