Costa Rica is much like other countries in Central America and if you have spent time in any of these countries, you know they all have their own little quirks and oddities. Costa Rica is no different. Here is a list of of few things you might not know about Costa Rica. These facts are both interesting and entertaining.
- Chain fast food restaurants like Taco Bell, McDonalds, Subway, and Burger King all deliver. This is true for the San Jose area and some other large cities across the country.
- If you are a smoker, you may find it hard to quit in Costa Rica. Cigarettes here cost around $1.50 for name brand packs.
- Street signs and addresses here are almost non existent. Most houses have names which are the equivalent of a street name and number.
- While the price of beer has gone up, it is still much cheaper than most places in the world. At almost any bar or restaurant you can get a local beer for less than US$2.
- You will be extremely hard pressed to find fountain soda. Just about every soda you drink will be poured from a bottle. Usually this bottle is given to you with a glass of ice.
- Free refills are unheard of for any type of drink, anywhere in the country. So learn how to make that bottle of coke last.
- Wearing shorts to important government buildings is considered disrespectful and you will likely be asked to leave.
- Milk, eggs, and many other refrigerated items are sold and stored on the shelf instead of in coolers. Why and how this works, I don’t know.
- The “C” on faucets and shower heads is for hot water, not cold. The “C” refers to the Spanish word for hot, which is Caliente.